updated September 1, 2019
Recorded here is my own personal collection of articles, resources, favorite links, teaching ideas, and lesson plans. It encompasses many years, from the very beginning of my experience studying and learning about Waldorf to the present time. People from all around the world visit my site and recommend it to others. Welcome!
This site records my journey. I hope my honesty is encouraging and helps break down some barriers that may prevent people from trying Waldorf methods. Because this is an ongoing site documenting my curriculum planning and ideas, some materials are more Waldorf-y than others. Please feel free to take what you like and leave the rest.
Class One in Waldorf Education
Mission Statement - Consulting Services - Lending Library
A Peek into the Classroom
Morning Verse for Lower Grades
Waldorf Today Gallery of Main Lesson Book Pages - Elementary School
Beautiful and inspiring
Gallery of Chalkboard Drawings in the Waldorf Classroom grades 1 - 8
Waldorf/Steiner Main Lessons and Main Lesson Blocks VERY helpful article
from the Sophia Institute Online Waldorf Teacher Training program
- The Main Lesson - Principles and Features
- The Main Lesson - Structure
- The Main Lesson - Rhythm
- The Main Lesson - Planning a Main Lesson Block
- Sample Template for Waldorf/Steiner Main Lesson Block
Samples from the First Grade Curriculum by Live Education!
General Waldorf Resources
The Education of the Child in the Light of
article by Rudolf Steiner
How To Create, Tell, and Recall a Story
Four Ways to Connect with Storytelling
blog post - Simplicity Parenting
Overview of Childhood Characteristics - includes the four temperaments
article by David Mitchell
Blackboard Sketching book
Frederick Whitney (1908)
available online for free - with step by step directions and illustrations
How to Bind a Main Lesson Book
Main Lesson Book
pages shared by Christopherus Homeschool Resources
browse through my collection of Pinterest Boards
with chalkboard drawings and main lesson book pages for many main lesson blocks
Movement for Childhood - wonderful site!
Waldorf Today Newsletter
very interesting & free weekly newsletter sent via email each Monday
Block Rotations Grades 1 - 8 (PDF)
by Jamie York
Summary of Math Skills for Grades 1 through 8 (PDF)
by Jamie York
A Grades 1 through 8 Math Curriculum Overview (PDF)
by Jamie York
Word Problems in Grades 1 through 8 (PDF)
by Jamie York
Waldorf Science Newsletter - issues available in PDF format
page 13 of Vol.1 has a Science Curriculum in the Waldorf School Grades 1-8 overview / one page handout, and
page 14 has
the same for the Waldorf High School Grades 9-12
When Should My Child Begin Music Lessons?
article by Sarah Baldwin
The Spiritual Gifts of Handwork
blog post - Knitting with Children
"Foundations of Waldorf Education" Series Notes
FREE links to all 25 volumes in this series of educational writings by Rudolf Steiner
DO NOT MISS The Online Waldorf Library's tremendous selection of Waldorf education books
converted into PDFs and available for FREE download! You can literally save $1000's of dollars!
- Waldorf Teacher Resources grade 1
An unbelievable resource with FREE main lesson pages and lesson plans (called "gems")
- The AWSNA Curriculum Chart is an INVALUABLE resource
Highly recommended, inexpensive, concise format, yet detailed and thorough -- and it's only $8.00! If you plan on homeschooling with Waldorf, you need to get this.
- Read My Blog - to follow our homeschool journey day by day...
Visit the Links to the Left - for my notes about each main lesson block I've taught...
Check out Additional Lesson Planning Notes below:
- Color Coding - how we organize our daily record keeping / plan books
- Hands, Heart, Head - how we organize our daily school schedule
- Plan Book Pictures - pictures of my planner and my daughters' plan book pages
A picture is worth a thousand words!
Little Bluestem Homeschool Co-op
This is the main lesson block plan for our first grade class
September - Form Drawing
October - Capital Letters
November - Quality of Numbers
December - Class Play with 3rd/4th graders (Hawaiian Mythology)
January - Native American Legends
February - 4 Seasons (Nature Study)
March - Fairy Tales
April - 4 Operations (Math Gnomes)
May - 4 Elements (Archetypal Professions)
Resources & Recommendations Specific to First Grade
- The Online Curriculum Project: Grade One
- From Kindergarten into the Grades
- First Grade Readiness - Resources, Insights and Tools for Waldorf Educators
edited by Nancy Blanning
- Novalis Press blog post
- Misc. Additional Resources
- Extending Indigenous Cultures Throughout The American Waldorf Curriculum
- Grade 1 posts - Schooling from the Heart
- String Games by Arvind Gupta (PDF)
- *NEW* "The Four Seasons" Story, "Gingerbread Man" Song,
"Where Have All the Colors Gone?" Song, plus Autumn Crafts (PDF)
from Waldorf Publications
- Great Fairy Tales for First Grade - includes alphabet and quality of numbers
- Waiting Until the Change of Teeth - my personal experience
with my daughter, Leah
- Signs of First Grade Readiness
blog post from Switzerite, Rhoda's blog
*NEW* Signs of First Grade Readiness handout (PDF)
*NEW* First Grade Readiness - Resources, Insights and Tools for Waldorf Educators
edited by Nancy Blanning
available as a free download from the Online Waldorf Library website!
- Teaching Our Children to Write, Read, and Spell: A Developmental Approach Looking at the Relationship of Children's Foundational Neurological Pathways to their Higher Capacities for Learning article
- Fairy Tale Notes - a list of fairy tales to tell plus songs and puppetries to accompany them
- The Four Processes: Waldorf Math - article by Waldorf Essentials
- First Grade: Capital Letters
- FREE Resources - Arts & Handwork
Switzerite, Rhoda's blog
- how to clean block beeswax crayons blog post from Celebrate the Rhythm of Life
I use Sweet Orange essential oil and a soft cloth -- and children love this job!
Stockmar Beeswax Block Crayons - 8 Assorted Waldorf Colors in Tin
Aura Cacia Essential Oil, Brightening Sweet Orange - 2 fl. oz.
- Discover Waldorf Education: Writing and Reading, part 1 video by Eugene Schwartz
- Discover Waldorf Education: Writing and Reading, part 2 video by Eugene Schwartz
- Tongue Twisters!
My family is always finding little phrases that work as tongue twisters. It would be great to collect
these with your first grader and make a Family Book of Tongue Twisters.
"She sells seashells and says shall by the seashore."
"Six sick straight snakes."
Try this one: "Thai Chai Tea." Reverse it: "Chai Thai Tea." Which way is harder?
Of course, a great book for tongue twisters (and early readers) is Dr. Seuss's Fox in Socks.
- First Grade story notes from The Parenting Passageway
- The Four Temperaments
blog post - Switzerite
- There's also a wonderful -- and LONG -- description of each of the four temperaments and how to deal with them
in times of conflict in the Introduction to Games Children Play: How Games and Sport Help Children Develop
- Learning to Knit - journaling page by Waldorf Curriculum
- *NEW Picture Books featuring Knitting, Spinning, Weaving, Yarn
- Suggested Course of Study for First Grade by Waldorf Curriculum
- Books for First Grade from the Baldwin Project
- Find authentic fairy tales in the nonfiction section of your library -- check 398 in the Dewey Decimal System
- Rainbow Bridge ceremony for
homeschool families with children beginning First Grade
- ECOlogical Calendar - a wonderful resource for the Four Seasons block and/or for the schoolroom wall!
- Storytelling Resources from Suzanne Down
see seasonal stories from The Online Curriculum Project: Early Childhood, plus
to introduce the flute, read The Greatest Treasure by Demi
the Choroi pentatonic flute is available at A Child's Dream Come True, along
with many pentatonic songbooks
submitted by Rhoda
The Red Bird by Astrid Lindgren
submitted by Rhoda
The Baldwin Project has the entire text of many classics in children's literature available online
for free including The Blue Fairy Book and The Red Fairy Book by Andrew Lang.
submitted by Tonya
Teaching the Alphabet:
P - parrot
The Horrendous Hullabaloo by Margaret Mahy
W - web (spider web)
Spiders Spin Webs by Yvonne Winer
The Very Busy Spider by Eric Carle
Be Nice to Spiders by Margaret Bloy Graham
Charlotte's Web by E.B White
- School Materials for First Grade:
Slate Board Set - from Rosie Hippo's
- Form Drawing:
Form Drawing in the Waldorf School - article by Rosemary Gebert
form drawing mirror examples from Raphael House
sample pages from Form Drawing for Beginners by Donna Simmons
- Learning to Knit:Knitting is More Important than Homework article from Waldorf Today
The following is exclusive content:
- First Grade Lesson Notes:
First Grade Curriculum Overview
with 138 pages of notes and
background information on what and how to teach in first grade (my own personal compilation of notes and ideas).
- I also offer my thoughts on a First Grade Booklist: essential books which, combined with the Kindergarten Booklist, will give you everything you need to teach First Grade with confidence.
Is there a subject you're having a hard time finding resources for? Please
contact the Yahoo Group for suggestions from our members or consider
hiring a consultant.